We are open - safety is our top priority!
Your child’s dental health is as important as his or her physical health and may play a role in the overall quality of his or her physical health in later years. All of our compassionate dentists are skilled at working with children, but many of our dental care offices in Fayetteville have at least one children’s dentist on staff.
A pediatric dentist has specialized in the dental needs of children and has completed at least two years of additional specialty training in the field. Call us today in Fayetteville to schedule an appointment with a kid’s dentist.
During your child’s appointment, the dentist will provide helpful techniques and tips for establishing good oral hygiene habits as soon as the child is old enough to practice them. Many of our dental group offices have a children’s dentist in Fayetteville and we’re dedicated to helping our young patients learn how to care for their teeth and gums.
How Old Should My Child Be Before Seeing a Dentist?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that children as young as a year old should see a dentist to begin their practice of good oral hygiene. If a child has a tooth, a cavity can develop and if a child has two or more teeth, a cavity or decay can form between the teeth. Teaching your child how to floss as soon as he or she is old enough to learn the process will help build a healthy foundation for good oral health. The health of your teeth and gums can affect your physical health so this is important.
A condition known as baby bottle tooth decay is frequently seen in young children who are put to bed with a bottle or sippy cup that contains milk or juice. These two beverages are high in sugar and when they set on the teeth for hours, they can hasten the onset of decay and cavities. You should never put your child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup, and when they are old enough, they should brush and floss their teeth before going to bed for the night. For more information on this subject, call our office in Fayetteville at (678) 228-8348.
Your Child’s First Dental Visit to Our Office
When you bring your child in for the first visit with his or her children’s dentist, the teeth and gums will be examined for any issues that might be present such as decay or cavities, misalignment or damage. The exam can be conducted while your child is in the dentist’s chair or seated on your lap. Usually, young children don’t need x-rays but if they do, we can take them.
What Dental Services Are Available for Children?
We want to provide your child with the best experience possible when receiving dentistry for children. Our kids dental care is among the best in the area and we look forward to meeting you and your child. Some of our methods include:
- Cleaning Teeth: We’re experts at getting our young patients to open wide so that we can clean their teeth and check for cavities.
- Topical Fluoride: We use a topical fluoride treatment that will absorb into your child’s tooth enamel and make the surface more resistant to decay.
- Dental Sealants: A dental sealant is actually a thin layer of tooth-colored material that we apply to the teeth which helps deter the formation of cavities.
- Pediatric Crowns: If your child has chips or small fractures on his or her teeth, we can repair them with tooth-colored material and they will look and function just like the rest of the teeth.
- Fillings: If your child has developed a cavity, we can fill the tooth to ensure it stays healthy until it is ready to fall out.
- Mouth guards: The American Dental Association recommends a protective mouth guard for any child who is engaged in sports. Whether the sport is high contact like football, soccer, or boxing, or another type of sport, like gymnastics. A mouth guard can protect the face and jaw and reduce the risk of broken, loosened or knocked out teeth.
Answers to commonly asked questions:
- How old will my child be when the baby teeth appear?
- How old will my child be when his or her baby teeth come out?
- Why does my child get frequent toothaches?
The answer is yes if you’ve been wondering, “Is there a children’s dentist near me?” Call our office in Fayetteville to schedule an appointment and get your child started on a lifelong program of good dental hygiene. We specialize in dentistry for kids and your children’s dentist will do everything possible to ensure the comfort of you and your child.