Posted on: December 21, 2014
What Could Happen If I Don’t Have My Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Third molars, commonly known as wisdom teeth, can cause a variety of problems, especially if they become impacted or stuck inside the jaw. Although some people complain of pain, complications associated with wisdom teeth may not cause any obvious symptoms at first. They are often silent and slowly progressive, and when symptoms finally manifest, serious damage has already been done. The following complications are good reasons to find an affordable dentist and have problematic wisdom teeth extracted before they can impact your oral or general health.
- The most common complaint associated with wisdom teeth is pain. Pain often indicates the presence of infection. You may feel pain or soreness in your jaw, ear, throat, or side of your face, as well as the site of the wisdom tooth.
- The bacteria caused by infected wisdom teeth may spread throughout the body and affect organ systems and overall health; this is especially dangerous for people with weakened immune systems.
- It’s difficult to properly clean partially erupted wisdom teeth. A buildup of food particles and dental plaque can cause gum infection around the tooth. If left untreated, bone destruction may follow.
- Wisdom teeth are prone to decay because of their position in the back of the mouth.
- Infected wisdom teeth may also contribute to the decay of surrounding teeth.
- When wisdom teeth are trapped inside soft tissue or bone and don’t have enough room to emerge, they’re impacted. Impacted teeth can occur in the upper or lower jaw and are usually treated with wisdom teeth extractions.
- Pressure from impacted wisdom teeth can cause tooth shifting and damage neighboring teeth.
- A jaw cyst is typically associated with the crown of an impacted wisdom tooth. If left untreated, a cyst can destroy the bone around it.
- Pericoronitis is an infection associated with the flap of gum tissue that covers an erupting wisdom tooth. Signs include swelling and pain when biting down onto inflamed tissue.
- Wisdom teeth can weaken the structural integrity of the jaw, which may result in an increased risk of jaw fracture.
- When wisdom teeth erupt in an awkward position, they can interfere with the normal bite and place undue stress on the jaw’s muscles and joints.
Wisdom teeth extractions are used to prevent and treat all of these potential complications. Contact your dentist in Atlanta to schedule an evaluation of your wisdom teeth before they affect your health and well-being. To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call today at or make an appointment. Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .