Posted on: August 25, 2016
Pregnancy Dental Advice from Atlanta Dental Care
Hormonal changes during pregnancy can increase your risk of developing gum disease, so it’s important to take care of your teeth and gums before and during your pregnancy and after you deliver. Before you attempt to get pregnant, seek an affordable dentist, and request a full dental exam and professional dental cleaning. Your dentist at your Atlanta dental care clinic can treat and resolve any oral health problems before you get pregnant, so you can enjoy a smoother pregnancy. It also gives you the opportunity to discuss any questions you have about dental care and pregnancy with your dentist. Dental Care during Your Pregnancy The following tips can ensure the best possible dental health so you can enjoy a smoother pregnancy:
- Tell your dentist and doctor as soon as you discover you are pregnant, so you can discuss dental care and pregnancy. During the first trimester and second half of the third trimester, dental treatments should be avoided if possible. Routine dental care is generally safe during the second trimester. Elective procedures should be rescheduled after delivery.
- Make sure your affordable dentist has a record of every prescription and over-the-counter drug you are taking, including supplements such as prenatal vitamins. You should also share any recent medical advice or recommendations your doctor has given to you.
- Avoid dental X-rays during pregnancy unless they are necessary because of a dental emergency.
- Don’t skip your dental appointments during pregnancy. It is important to monitor the condition of your teeth and gums closely because pregnancy increases your risk of developing gingivitis. See your dentist immediately if you experience sore, swollen, or bleeding gums.
- Pay special attention to your dental hygiene routine. Brush twice daily and floss once a day.
- If morning sickness makes it difficult to brush your teeth, try using a bland-tasting toothpaste. Vomiting exposes your teeth to stomach acid and temporarily weakens them. Rinse with water after vomiting instead of brushing right away.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet. Your baby’s teeth will start to develop about three months into your pregnancy. Be sure you are eating plenty of dairy products and getting essential vitamins and minerals to help them develop properly.
Continue Seeking Atlanta Dental Care after Delivery If you had any gum problems while you were pregnant, see your affordable dentist after delivery for a comprehensive exam and periodontal evaluation. To learn more about dental care and pregnancy, seek Atlanta dental care professionals for treatment and advice. To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call today at or make an appointment. Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .