We are open - safety is our top priority!
Defy the Odds of Your Genetics
Have you ever wondered exactly what factors impact your oral health? Dentists know that genetics play a role, but that role is not as substantial as the factors of which you have complete control: basic dental care habits and proper nutrition. While a family history of gum disease or a predisposition for plaque buildup can increase your risk, you can defy the odds by carefully caring for your teeth through routine brushing, flossing, and visits to affordable dentists, as well as adding some nutrient-rich foods to your diet. Learn how you can take control of your oral health and improve outcomes. Even though you may practice healthy dental care habits and eat a teeth-friendly diet, you may still be at a greater risk due to your genetics:
- Low mineral content in your saliva increases your risk of cavities, as minerals in saliva can fight the earliest stages of tooth decay. On the other hand, high mineral content in the saliva can contribute to an increased risk of gum disease due to the contribution to tartar buildup.
- Individuals with a “destructive inflammatory response” to bacteria and infection are at a greater risk of gum disease.
Proper dental care habits are among the most influential factors for fighting gum disease and tooth decay. Dentists recommend brushing at least twice daily, flossing once daily, and routine dental visits every six months. Food debris, bacteria, plaque, and tartar all play a role in the development of poor dental health. Patients and dentists can work together to keep all contributing factors at bay. Don’t skip any of the important dental care steps to successfully fighting infection, inflammation, decay, and disease:
- Brush at least twice daily for a minimum of two minutes
- Floss once daily to remove bacteria and debris from spaces between teeth
- Use mouthwash to wash away bacteria and debris, as well as fight bad breath
- Visit your dentist in Atlanta at least once every six months for routine cleanings. Affordable dentists can also detect any diseases or conditions in the early stages
Eating certain foods can help reduce the bacteria that feed on the teeth and gums. Conversely, avoiding particular foods can significantly reduce the likelihood of tooth decay and other oral tissue damage. Follow these eating habits to keep your mouth healthy:
- Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables, like apples and celery, which are loaded with antioxidants to fight cavities and gum disease, and increase saliva production to further wash away harmful bacteria.
- Avoid eating excessive amounts of sugary and starchy foods. Sugar molecules feed the bacteria of the mouth, leading to the development of acids, which can erode the tooth enamel.
- Drink lots of water, particularly tap water that is rich in fluoride, which plays a significant role in remineralizing the teeth.
Despite genetic factors, a nutrient-rich diet, good dental care habits, and routine visits to affordable dentists can help you achieve and maintain good oral health. To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call today at or make an appointment. Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .