We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: April 26, 2015
5 Self-Help Tips for Adults with Dental Anxiety
April is National Anxiety Month, and few things inspire more irrational fear and dread than visiting the dentist. Dental anxiety often develops in childhood. For some, a painful experience creates deep-rooted dental fear that results in a lifelong avoidance of the dentist. Others may be afraid of dentist drills or strange chemical smells. A recent study conducted by Delta Dental Plans found that parents can transfer their own dental fear to their children. Data collected revealed that the percentage of moms and dads who admitted to having a fear of dentists correlated perfectly with the number of children who had the same fear. Ways to Defeat Adult Dental Anxiety If you’re a parent, you can avoid passing along your fears to kids by maintaining a positive outlook toward dentistry and addressing your outdated dental fear. Here are five ways for adults to stop being afraid of dentist appointments.
- Take advantage of newer anesthesia methods such as intravenous conscious sedation and topical gels and patches.
- Try distraction methods. Choose a clinic that offers a big-screen television or virtual reality glasses during treatment, or bring your iPad and headphones.
- Share your concerns, and request details about treatments and procedures. If your dentist is aware of your dental anxiety, he or she will make an extra effort to allay your fears.
- Know that you are in control. Use a predetermined hand gesture or other signal to let your dentist know when you’re feeling uncomfortable.
- If your dental anxiety is unbearable, get professional help. Cognitive behavioral therapy can help you learn to cope with fear in a more productive way.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Atlanta, call today at or make an appointment. Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Atlanta. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .